On the Needles

powered by ravelry.com


Monday, March 10, 2008

Me + 22 Brownies =

Chaos!

That's the easiest way to describe it. There were 22 girls that we split into 2 groups. I only had about a half-hour to teach each group and it was no where near enough time. None of the girls got past the cast-on. I'm not sure many of them even mastered that. Some of the girls were left handed. I really didn't have the time to concentrate on each girl individually to make sure they were getting it. My mom and sister did help a bit but neither one of them knit the way I do.

The next time I'm going to establish some ground rules.

1. Limit of 5 girls per group.
2. Find out ahead of time if any girls are left handed so I can adjust my presentation for them.
3. Have multiple sessions.
Sessions 1 would be to teach them how to cast-on and the knit stitch.
Session 2 would be to check on their progress.
Session 3 could be for bind-off.

I also think I'd teach a different cast-on. The knitted cast-on is great because it is so similar to the knit stitch but it takes so long to do. I'm not a huge fan of the thumb cast-on because of how hard it is to knit from. The only other fairly simple one is the long-tailed cast-on. Which my nieces and nephew all use. I would just have to make sure I know a head of time how much yarn they would need to do it.

I hadn't expected amazing results abut I was still disappointed that the girls didn't get farther along on their squares. They group is going camping this weekend and they have set time aside for knitting but I'm not sure how much will actually get done.

I just hope the girls had a good first experience with knitting. I'd hate to think I did something that would put them off such a wonderful craft.

The only thing I can do is wait and see. I hate that.

No comments: