On the Needles

powered by ravelry.com


Friday, September 01, 2023

OTDIH - September 1st

Slight change of pace. Instead of focusing on one individual for my 'On This Day In History' posts I'm going to do a quick overview of the events that happened on that day. 

September 1st, 1776 - The birth of my 5th Great-Grandfather, Samuel Vaughn, in North Carolina at the time but is now known as Russel Co., Virginia, USA. He is the son of William Patrick Vaughn and Fereby Benton.
The date comes from his grave marker. I don't know when the grave marker was placed or by whom but I believe it was more recently. It does not have the appearance of a 170 year old stone. 
There is a mention of his date and place of birth in the "History of Hindsville, Arkansas : the town, the area, and the people" by Joy Anderson Russell, Christy Russell, and Madison County Genealogical & Historical Society, published in 2001. 
I have not been able to locate an earlier record but 18th century USA research is one of my weak areas. 

No comments: