On the Needles

powered by ravelry.com


Thursday, January 05, 2017

On This Day In History...

Since I started researching my family history I've struggled with how to share it with family.
I always figured that one day I would make a book; when my tree is complete. As I've gotten older and my experience with genealogical research has grown I realized that my family tree will never be complete. Even if I limit the number of generations to 10 I would still have more things to learn about each person.
Some day I might still make the book. With slightly lower expectations for its' content. Until then I thought I would share something here on my blog. My post about my great-grandfather was my first attempt and I had hoped the first of many in 2016 but that didn't work out.
For 2017 I have decided to try again. Using my family tree program I have printed out a calendar of births and marriages for my direct ancestors going back to my 4th great-grandparents. I have decided not to do posts on my parents and grandparents for privacy reasons.
I will also be excluding any events that I don't have a reliable source. These are dates that I got from forum posts or another researchers online tree that didn't contain proper citations. I'm going to blame their existence in my tree on my younger, less experienced, but equally excited and eager self. I don't have any reason to think that they are incorrect other then the general concept that we are human and we make mistakes. And if they do turn out to be wrong, I don't want to be one of the people that have perpetuated the error.
I have made up basic pedigree charts for each of my grandparents (with their first names hidden). These charts contain only names with no other information. They are a way for those interested to understand where in my tree these people fit. You can find the pedigree charts here.
I will tag each post with the corresponding surname and include a link to that pedigree.
Some post will have more information. And what is included  might not be everything I have on those individuals.
If you come across one of these posts and think you might be connected to someone mentioned please feel free to email me at jodi.familytree@gmail.com.

No comments: